The Institute of Concrete Technology has the development of Concrete Technology as a discipline, and the advancement of practicing concrete technologists at its heart. It was established in 1972 by, and initially for, those who had attained the recently instituted Diploma in Concrete Technology. The introduction of this qualification was itself the highpoint of a 20-year process – which in the UK started in the early 1950s – of developing technical education and qualifications specifically for those working in the concrete industry: cement makers, ready-mixed concrete producers, precasters and laboratories for research and testing. And over the years the Diploma attracted candidates from far afield – Australia, the Gulf states, Hong Kong, the Netherlands, and South Africa and many other countries. Right from the start, in the early 1970s, women were enrolled – the first from Turkey, and others following from Argentina, Spain and the USA.
The Institute of Concrete Technology
Riverside House, 4 Meadows Business Park,
Surrey, GU17 9AB, UK
T +44 1276 607140